April 22, 2015
- Start thinking about the idea of working remote full time, maybe you’ve never thought of yourself as a remote worker. Starting now, it’s time to change your mindset.
- Discuss the idea of working remote with your friends/family – Their insight will help you determine if it’s possible for you.
- Set up a home office – Having a great space, even if it’s small will help you dramatically be more effective in your work.
- If you’re an employee, start testing the waters by working one day remotely each week. Make sure you make this day the most productive of your week.
- If your employer won’t budge and you really want to start working remote, start looking somewhere else.
- Check out oDesk, Angel.co, Linked In, WeWorkRemotely, Automattic (most of their staff is remote) and other online job board sites.
- Read ‘Remote’ by 37signals – an excellent book about the changing landscape of work and why remote is just as good as being co-located.
- Follow up – If you aren’t immediately successful don’t lose heart. Sometimes making a change like this takes time.
This is the first of a series of posts on working remotely that I’ll be posting. Please feel free send any questions that you have to me or post them in the comments. I’d be happy to provide any help that I can!